Sofia Airport Marks a Significant Increase in Passengers

Sofia airport seems to be gaining popularity. In March of this year, over half a million passengers used the airport (556 008). This is a 7.8% increase compared to March of 2017. Terminal 2 has processed 67% of the flights while Terminal 1 - the terminal for low-cost companies - has processed the remaining 33%.

This growth comes from an overall tendency of people flying more frequently on all possible routes. For instance, last year WizzAir became the second company to offer flights on the Sofia - Varna route and since then the number of people flying within the country has increased by 62% - from 15,000 to 24,000 (in March of 2017 and 2018, respectively).

The passenger flow on international routes has also increased - by 5.2%. The airport's managers believe the reason to be the new destinations as well as the summer schedule that began on March 25. The airport has also reported that in the last week of March new routes were opened - to Ljubljana, to Nice, to Paphos. Also - flights to Frankfurt, Lisbon, Malaga, Athens, and Doha are now more frequent. 

The passengers using charter flights have also increased - by an impressive 47%. The most popular destinations for them were - Tel-Aviv, Cairo, and Hurghada. However, the best months for the airport remain July, August in September - when there are more than 600,000 passengers per month. The airport itself has reported a yearly growth of 30.3% - a record. This was expected, given the fact that since last year the airport began its partnership with the low-cost airlines - RyanAir. At the same time, WizzAir have gone on to expand their business on Bulgaria's biggest airport. 

Image Source

Vasil Manev

Vasil Manev is a student in Computer Science and an aspiring columnist, studying in Heidelberg, Germany.

Comments (0)

Like Our Page on Facebook

Like our page to make sure you see all of our NEW articles!

Click to

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Subscribe and stay informed about all important events!



x